[UrJTAG-dev] Digilent Nexys-4 xilinx board FT2232

[UrJTAG-dev] Digilent Nexys-4 xilinx board FT2232

steve tell

Has anyone successfully used urjtag to program the xilinx
Artix-7 XC7A100T-1 FPGA on the Nexys-4 board from Digilent, Inc?
http://digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,400,1184&Prod=NEXYS4

The board contains an FTDI FT2232 chip,  which identifies to lsusb as:

Bus 001 Device 035: ID 0403:6010 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT2232C Dual USB-UART/FIFO IC

Using "jtag", I can connect with "cable" as follows, but jtag doesn't
detect the FPGA (nor anything else) on the jtag chain:

jtag> cable FT2232 vid=0x0403 pid=0x6010
Connected to libftdi driver.
jtag> detect
error: no chain: TDO seems to be stuck at 1

I was hoping to use the svf command to play an svf file from the xilinx
ISE tools into the fpga.
Any hints?

thanks,
Steve

Re: [UrJTAG-dev] Digilent Nexys-4 xilinx board FT2232

Ketil Froyn
Are you using a Bus Blaster? Try this instead:

jtag> cable jtagkey vid=0x0403 pid=0x6010
Connected to libftdi driver.
jtag> detect
etc....

Cheers, Ketil

On 9 June 2014 22:53, steve tell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anyone successfully used urjtag to program the xilinx
> Artix-7 XC7A100T-1 FPGA on the Nexys-4 board from Digilent, Inc?
> http://digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,400,1184&Prod=NEXYS4
>
> The board contains an FTDI FT2232 chip,  which identifies to lsusb as:
>
> Bus 001 Device 035: ID 0403:6010 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT2232C Dual USB-UART/FIFO IC
>
> Using "jtag", I can connect with "cable" as follows, but jtag doesn't
> detect the FPGA (nor anything else) on the jtag chain:
>
> jtag> cable FT2232 vid=0x0403 pid=0x6010
> Connected to libftdi driver.
> jtag> detect
> error: no chain: TDO seems to be stuck at 1
>

> I was hoping to use the svf command to play an svf file from the xilinx
> ISE tools into the fpga.
> Any hints?
>
> thanks,
> Steve

-Ketil

Re: [UrJTAG-dev] Digilent Nexys-4 xilinx board FT2232

Colin O'Flynn
Also - did you set the channel? E.g. try:

cable ft2232 interface=1

The 2232 has two channels you can use! FYI this will probably be very
slow... you may be better off just using Impact with the Digilent drivers...

  -Colin

Are you using a Bus Blaster? Try this instead:

jtag> cable jtagkey vid=0x0403 pid=0x6010
Connected to libftdi driver.
jtag> detect
etc....

Cheers, Ketil

On 9 June 2014 22:53, steve tell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anyone successfully used urjtag to program the xilinx
> Artix-7 XC7A100T-1 FPGA on the Nexys-4 board from Digilent, Inc?
> http://digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,400,1184&Prod=NEX
> YS4
>
> The board contains an FTDI FT2232 chip,  which identifies to lsusb as:
>
> Bus 001 Device 035: ID 0403:6010 Future Technology Devices
> International, Ltd FT2232C Dual USB-UART/FIFO IC
>
> Using "jtag", I can connect with "cable" as follows, but jtag doesn't
> detect the FPGA (nor anything else) on the jtag chain:
>
> jtag> cable FT2232 vid=0x0403 pid=0x6010
> Connected to libftdi driver.
> jtag> detect
> error: no chain: TDO seems to be stuck at 1
>

> I was hoping to use the svf command to play an svf file from the
> xilinx ISE tools into the fpga.
> Any hints?
>
> thanks,
> Steve

-Ketil

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014, Colin O'Flynn wrote:

> Also - did you set the channel? E.g. try:
>
> cable ft2232 interface=1

Thanks for the reminder.  I've now tried both channels, interface=0 and
interface=1, with no luck. I've also now blacklisted and removed the
ftdi_sio driver, which previously was grabbing both channels and creating
/dev/ttyUSB0 and USB1 devices.

I'm not convinced that the MPSEE pins on the FT2232(H) on the Nexys4 board
is actually wired to the FPGA, even though the manual says one channel is
wired as a jtag host and the other is a UART/serial port.   Shortly I'll
be probing the jtag header to see if there's any response to urjtag
operations.

> The 2232 has two channels you can use! FYI this will probably be very
> slow... you may be better off just using Impact with the Digilent drivers...

Is there a theoretical reason why urjtag should be slower than the xilinx
tool when both use the same interface?  Or do we just have some work do do
on urjtag's efficiency?

thanks,
Steve

>  -Colin

Mike Frysinger
On Tue 10 Jun 2014 17:15:23 steve tell wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2014, Colin O'Flynn wrote:
> > The 2232 has two channels you can use! FYI this will probably be very
> > slow... you may be better off just using Impact with the Digilent
> > drivers...
>
> Is there a theoretical reason why urjtag should be slower than the xilinx
> tool when both use the same interface?  Or do we just have some work do do
> on urjtag's efficiency?

without someone sniffing the USB traffic, it's hard to say where the problem
lies.  i could see traffic from urjtag getting split badly such that it
generates extra USB packets while the xilinx guys have done a lot of work to
make sure their packets are always aligned/split/etc... exactly for maximum
performance.
-mike

Re: [UrJTAG-dev] Digilent Nexys-4 xilinx board FT2232

steve tell

This patch was intended to add support for the Digilent, Inc. "nexys4"
development board. The nexys4 board contains a Xilinx xc7a100t-csg324 FPGA
and an integrated FT2232H chip, so no additional cable should be needed.

But I've been unable to get this to work, and I won't have time to explore
further for a while, so I'm pulling this code out of my working tre and
sending it along in case anyone else wants to try.  I don't recommend its
addition to urjtag until someone gets it working.

I obtained the following information about the Nexys4 from Digilent, Inc.
support, but the actual schematic page containing the FT2232H,
surrounding parts, and connection to the FPGA is "proprietary."

Channel A of the FT2232 is connected to the JTAG pins of the xilinx
part in the usual manner:
ADBUS0  TCK
ADBUS1  TDI
ADBUS2  TDO
ADBUS3  TMS
In addition, there are tristate buffers between the FT2232H and xilinx that
are enabled by setting ADBUS7 to 1.
pin ADBUS4 must not be enabled as an output.

Note that some other FT2232H based cables used ADBUS4 as an output,
so selecting the wrong cable (and forcing the vid/pid) may cause problems.
This might be what happened to my board.

As usual, the FT2232H with default VID/PID is identified by the linux
kernel as a dual serial port, unless the ftdi_sio driver is removed or
bumped off of the device by libusb or libftdi.

-Steve